With nearly 48 million Americans being affected by hearing loss, it’s never been more important to ensure you’re protecting your hearing. While age-related hearing loss is the most common type of hearing loss, more and more individuals are being diagnosed with noise-induced hearing loss. NIHL is caused by exposure to noises so loud that they damage your hearing.
What’s too loud?
Noise is measured in decibels (dB). Noises that are louder than 85 dB are considered dangerous for one’s hearing. Sounds at 85 dB, such as loud traffic or a noisy restaurant, can be heard for eight hours a day without damage. Any noise louder than that, such as a loud sporting event (105 dB), rock concert (120 dB), rifle blast (140 dB) or rocket launch (180), can cause permanent damage in a shorter period of time.
Common environments that lead to NIHL include:
- Military Service
- Construction and manufacturing sites
- Fitness classes
- Sporting events
- Using household appliances like lawn mowers or snow blowers
At TOPS Hearing Center, we order our custom hearing protection products from Westone, a world leader in supporting the hearing healthcare industry provide precision for all needs.
Custom earmolds and earplugs
Custom earmolds and earplugs are the most common type of hearing protection used by TOPS Hearing Center patients. The line of custom hearing protection includes:
- In-Ear-Monitors for musicians. Customs from single balanced drivers up to five balanced drivers with passive three-way crossover are available. TOPs takes a quality ear impression, orders the monitors and services them as needed.
- DefendEar digital hearing protection for recreational shooting and game hunting. OtoBlast silicone provides ultimate comfort and protection
- DefendEar and TRU hearing protection including filtered earpieces for superior sound quality and music enjoyment for audiophiles and music enthusiasts
- Pilots earpieces, Plantronic and commercial phone headsets, custom Bluetooth and earbud earpieces, and stethoscope adapters
- Swim plugs. Custom swim plugs which float and are guaranteed not to leak are beneficial to patients with PE tubes in the ears or frequent infections and swimmer’s ear. Impressions of the ear are made by the audiologist and the plugs are manufactured by Westone who are the leaders in the custom earmold industry
Earmolds and earplugs are very similar in nature. Both provide a custom fit for a tight seal. Earplugs sit within the ear canal while earmolds are larger, fitting around the outside of the outer ear.
Earplugs and monitors for musicians
Musicians are at high risk for developing noise-induced hearing loss. We work with many musicians to enable them to play, practice and write music without putting their hearing at risk. Custom-made earplugs let you hear your surrounding environment while protecting your ears. Monitors show the decibel level of the environment, giving them the power to know what’s too loud and what’s safe for the ears.
Regardless what your hobby or career is, the professional team at TOPS Hearing Center have the products you need to preserve and protect your hearing. Whether you’re looking for earplugs or custom molds, visit our center to find out how we can help you take better care of your auditory system!
Hearing Protection Products We Offer Include:
Hunting, shooting and sudden noise. A filter instantaneously closes when damaging noise levels are reached. Allows essentially normal hearing at all other times.
Ideal for performing musicians and concert-goers. Also great for flight attendants, bartenders, waiters, dental professionals. Allows wearer to hear sounds accurately, but at reduced levels. Three filter options available: 9dB, 15dB or 25dB.
For swimming and showering – and they FLOAT! Also provide superb noise reduction.
Offers comfortable and uninterrupted rest. Also great for shift workers with non-traditional hours.
Designed with a hollow canal for under helmet use to reduce wind buffeting.
Designed to prevent surfer’s ear and swimmer’s ear caused by exposure to cold water and wind. The floatable material is molded with a sealed membrane spanning the sound bore that keeps cold water and air out of the ear canal, but allows for conversation and hearing while in the ear.
Ideal for high-noise industrial environments.
For use with any bud/button style earphones.
Amplification for situational awareness, as well as noise attenuation when you pull the trigger.
Offers two modes, game, which is optimized for intermittent shots, and clay mode, which is optimized for continued shots.
Offers standard digital features and provides protection in windy environments.